The ASCO Oncology Practice Conference is a business meeting with recognized leaders as organizers and speakers, and thus provides the perfect opportunity to share recommendations of influential articles and books with meeting attendees. Much like a scientific meeting has peer reviewed submissions that are shared and discussed to illustrate what is important, this meeting offers something similar for our target audience. This collection includes readings related to business, both medical/oncology practice focused, as well as general business information, including leadership guidance, team building, management, or best practices. Resources include articles and books, and are comprised of general business publications such as Harvard Business Review, Malcolm Gladwell-type books, etc., as well as health-related journals, including Health Affairs, Journal of Oncology Practice, The New England Journal of Medicine, etc.
Harvey Bichkoff, MPH
Marin Cancer Center
- Berry, Leonard, Seltman, Kent. Management Lessons From Mayo Clinic: Inside One of the World's Most Admired Service Organizations. McGraw-Hill. 2008. Book.
- Boss, Wayne. Team Building and the Problem of Regression: The Personal Management Interview as an Intervention. JAI Press, Inc. 1983. PDF.
Richard Boxer, MD, FACS
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Oncology Times. "Telemedicine: Remote Cancer Care Improves Communication". Website.
- The Wall Street Journal. "When a Doctor Is Always a Phone Call Away". Website.
- Health Affairs Blog. "Telemedicine: A Solution To Address The Problems of Cost, Access, and Quality". Website.
- CNBC. "Tech Set to Transform $3 Trillion Health Care Industry'". Website.
- Forbes. "Is 2017 The Year of Telemedicine?".Website.
- Managed Healthcare Executive. "Three Reasons Telemedicine Will Grow in 2017". Website.
John Cox, DO, MBA, FACP, FASCO
UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Simone, Joseph V. Simone's Maxims Updated and Expanded: Understanding Today's Academic Medical Centers. Editorial Rx Press. 2012. Book.
- The Arbinger Institute. The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict. Berrett-Koehler Publishers. 2015. Book.
- Harvard Business Review. The Strategy That Will Fix Health Care. Website.
Karen Fields, MD
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
- Impact of Oncologist Payment Method on Health Care Outcomes, Costs, and Quality: A Rapid Review McPherson E, et. al Syst Rev. 2016 Sep 21;5(1):160.
- Changing Physician Incentives for Affordable, Quality Cancer Care: Results of an Episode Payment Model Newcomer LN, et. al. J Oncol Pract. 2014 Sep;10(5):322-6.
- The Affordable Care Act and the Future of Clinical Medicine: The Opportunities and Challenges Kocher, et. al. Ann Intern Med. 2010;153(8):536-539.
- Hospital Readmissions and the Affordable Care Act: Paying for Coordinated Quality Care Kocher RP, Adashi EY JAMA. 2011;306(16):1794-1795.
- CMS.gov, Oncology Care Model Website.
- Deloitte University Press. "Practicing value-based care: What do doctors need?" PDF.
Barbara McAneny, MD, FASCO
New Mexico Oncology Hematology Consultants, LTD
- Journal of Oncology Practice (JOP), "Community Oncology Medical Homes: Physician-Driven Change to Improve Patient Care and Reduce Costs" Website.
- NORC at the University of Chicago, "HCIA Disease-Specific Evaluation." PDF.
Ray D. Page, DO, PhD, FACOI
The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Harvard Business Review. Social Intelligence and the Biology of Leadership. Website.
- Harvard Business Review. Leadership Run Amok: The Destructive Potential of Overachievers. Website.
- Harvard Management Update. Yo, Listen Up: A Brief Hearing on the Most Neglected Communication Skill. PDF.
- MIT Sloan Management Review. How to Have Influence. Website.
- Harvard Business Press. The Theory Behind the Practice. PDF.
- Harvard Business Review. What Leaders Really Do. Website.
- Harvard Business Review. Managing Oneself. Website.
Doris Quinn, PhD
Consultant in Process Improvement
- Deming, W. Edwards, Out of the Crisis. MIT Press, Cambridge MA. 2000. Book.
- Scholtes, P; Joiner, B, Striebel, B. The Team Handbook Third Edition. Oriel Inc. Madison, WI. 2003. Book.
Derek Raghavan, MD, PhD, FACP, FRACP, FASCO
Levine Cancer Institute, Carolinas Health System
- Redefining Competition in Health Care . Website.
- McChrystal, Stanley. Team of Teams. Portfolio. 2015. Book.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology, Value in Oncology: Balance Between Quality and Cost. Website.
Barry Russo, MBA
The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Jim Collins, Good to Great Website.
- Studer, Quint. Hardwiring Excellence. Studer Fire Starter Publishing. Book.
Robin Zon, MD, FACP, FASCO
Michiana Hematology Oncology PC
- American Society of Clinical Oncology, "Criteria for High-Quality Clinical Pathways in Oncology". PDF.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), "Equity in Cancer Care: Pathways, Protocols, and Guidelines". Website.
- Journal of Oncology Practice (JOP), "Cost Effectiveness of Evidence-Based Treatement Guidelines for the Treatment of Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer in the Community Setting". PDF.
- Journal of Oncology Practice (JOP), "Pathways, Outcomes, and Costs in Colon Cancer: Retrospective Evaluations in Two Distinct Databases". PDF.
- "Opening the Black Box: The Impact of an oncology management program consisting of level 1 pathways and an outbound nurse call system" Website.
- Journal of Oncology Practice (JOP), "Implementation of Cancer Clinical Care Pathways: A Successful Model of Collaboration Between Payers and Providers". PDF.